The stories and cultures of the ancient trade routes connecting the Far East to Europe will come to vivid life during “Travel the Silk Road,” WAM's virtual fall Community Day. Join us online for music, dance, stories, and art programs and activities organized in partnership with the India Society of Worcester and the Southeast Asian Coalition of Central Massachusetts. We look forward to seeing you!
Virtual Programs and Activities
- 10:30am—Diwali Candle Lighting, followed by dance performances by the India Society of Worcester.
- 11am—Rangoli Demonstration. Often made during Diwali and other Hindu festivals, Rangoli is an art form, originating in the Indian subcontinent, in which patterns are created on the floor or the ground using materials such as colored rice, colored sand, quartz powder or flower petals.
- 11:30am—Storytime Live! WAM Librarian Rebecca Morin reads We're Riding on a Caravan : An Adventure on the Silk Road, an imaginative tale of a family's journey along the ancient trade route, and shares a fun activity to do at home.
- 12pm—Make a Puppet Live! WAM Studio Art Instructor, Ellen Donaldson, shows how to create storytelling stick puppets.
- 12:30pm—Tour the Silk Road. Rachel Parikh, WAM's Assistant Curator of Asian and Middle Eastern Art, takes us on a virtual tour of the Silk Road using works in WAM's collection.
- 1pm—Lion Dance. South East Asian Coalition of Worcester's Youth Nian Dancers perform a traditional Lion Dance.
- 1:15pm—Storytime. Irmana Soofi, storyteller and founder of Muslim Community Link of Central Massachusetts, performs a story from the Silk Road.
- 1:45pm—Art Activity. Create your own story through art. Lydia Bolton, WAM Studio Art Instructor, leads this storytelling art activity.
- 2:15pm—Storytime. Enjoy a tale of the Silk Road read by the India Society of Worcester.
- 2:45pm—Meet a Samurai Live! Learn about the armor of the Samurai with WAM Program Coordinator, Neal Bourbeau.
Schedule subject to change.
Presented in collaboration with the India Society of Worcester and the South East Asian Coalition. Sponsored by Highland Street Foundation.