Unidentified artist
Eighteenth century

Landscape (View of a Town)1, after 1753
Oil on Eastern white pine panel2
Image: 27 3/8 x 51 1/2 in. (69.5 x 130.8 cm)
Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Roger Kinnicutt, 1947.18

School Street Storage Warehouse, Worcester; to Charles F. Timmins, Worcester; to Benjamin J. Tighe, Worcester; to Lincoln N. Kinnicutt about 1919; to his son Dr. Roger Kinnicutt.3

"A Painted Wooden Stele and Other Gifts to the Museum," Worcester News Bulletin 13, no. 2 (November 1947): 6.

"Collections and Exhibitions," Worcester Annual Report, supplement to Worcester News Bulletin 13, no. 8 (summer 1948): xiv.

Worcester News Bulletin 14, no. 3 (December 1948): 11.

Art Institute of Chicago 1949, 15, 19.

Little 1952, 25, 27, 134.

Pierson and Davidson 1960, 285.

Little 1965, 498–99.

Reutlinger 1975, 30–31

Bremer 1992, [11], 32.

From Colony to Nation: An Exhibition of American Painting, Silver, and Architecture from 1650 to the War of 1812, Art Institute of Chicago, April 21–June 19, 1949, cat. no. 10.

Early American Overmantel and Wall Paintings, Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield, Massachusetts, September 16–30, 1953.

The Colonial Epoch in America, Worcester Art Museum, April 18, 1975–January 4, 1976, cat. pp. 30–31.

1. This painting also has been published as Landscape (Art Institute of Chicago 1949, 19); View of a Town (Reutlinger 1975, 31); and Overmantel from an Unidentified House in Oxford, Massachusetts (Little 1952, 27). Despite Nina Fletcher Little’s assertion that the painting was from Oxford, Louisa Dresser, the Worcester Art Museum’s curator at the time of that publication, wrote, "No basis exists for associating this panel with Oxford." Margin note by Dresser in the museum’s copy of Little 1952.

2. Identification of the wood is based on a scientific analysis of the cell structure by dendrologist R. Bruce Hoadley, January 5, 2000.

3. This provenance is based on Benjamin J. Tighe to Louisa Dresser, May 29, 1947; memo prepared by Louisa Dresser, June 9, 1947; and Charles F. Timmins to Louisa Dresser, November 19, 1948. All correspondence in object file, Worcester Art Museum.